Shepherds College serves individuals with intellectual disabilities such as significant learning, cognitive, and developmental conditions, whose disability impacts their ability to access course content without a system of educational supports and services.
Candidates for admission will need to meet the following qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have high school diploma or certificate of completion.
- Must have a diagnosed intellectual disability.
- Must be able to function with little to no attendant care.
- Must be able to read at a third grade level.
- Must be able to perform math problems at a third grade level.
- Must have motivation and an eagerness to learn.
- Must have the ability to receive information and instruction from staff and provide responses and feedback when necessary.
- Must possess the ability to safely function without direct supervision in his/her residential setting.
- Must have acceptable social behavior verified by school, family, or other source.
- Must be free from communicable diseases.
- Must have the ability to maintain appropriate professional behavior and perform with minimal supervision at an internship in a competitive business setting.
- Must have the ability to make the commitment required of an educational/transitional program.
- Must have a desire to live independently and have a family that supports that goal.
- Must have minimal medical needs - cannot require more than 3 hours per week of nursing care.
- Must agree to abide by the Community Covenant established by Shepherds College.
- Must provide copies of psychological, medical, and behavioral history.
- Must not have a current history of harming self or others.
- Must have no record of arrest or probation.
- Must provide three letters of recommendation on forms provided by the college- with one of these letters completed by a Special Education or Resource Room teacher.
We would like your child to attend Shepherds College in order to learn and gain Appropriate Independence™. If you aren't sure if your child will qualify, please call the Admissions staff. You can reach them at 262.878.6351. We can learn more about your son or daughter as well as answer any additional questions you may have.